For many of us, Advent is a season of anticipation. Our churches focus on the coming of Christmas and the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Every year, we tell and re-tell the stories that are central to our faith, focusing on the central themes of hope, peace, love, and joy.
And then Christmas comes and goes, and we put Advent away for another year.
This year at New Wineskins, we want to try something different. Together, we want to reimagine what this season of anticipation can look like if we focus less on emotional sentiment and more on practical action. Rather than looking forward simply to the baby in the manger, we want to think about how we ourselves embody the cosmic Christ that breaks into humanity with the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.
We hope you’ll join us this year for Advent:Reimagined.
- Nov. 27 — EXPECT [Matt. 24:36-44] (Guest speaker: Dr. Tom Oord): What does it mean to be both free and expectant?
- Dec. 4 — RENEW [Matt. 3:1-23] How do we renew relationships by living repentantly?
- Dec. 11 — LIBERATE [Luke 1:46b-55] None of us is free until all of us are free.
- Dec. 18 — LOVE [Matt. 1:18-25] Real love always costs something.
- Dec. 24 — INCARNATE [Luke 2:1-14] Christmas Eve collaboration with Justice & Jubilee
- Dec. 31 — COMMUNITY SABBATH No gathering.
Every Sunday a member of our community will lead a brief reflection based on the week’s theme and Lectionary Gospel text. If you like, you may have a candle or set of Advent candles handy to light as part of our shared experience.
6:00pm EDT: Happy Half-Hour (informal meet & greet time)
6:30pm EDT: Presentation & conversation begin
Invest in our community!
Want to invest in our community for Spiritual Exiles and our work to create and support online micro-communities focused on justice and liberation? Our online giving platform makes it easy for you to support the work we do! Just click the link below to give. Recurring gifts support the community over the long-term…your assistance helps us grow and sustain the important work we’re doing together!
2 thoughts on “Advent:Reimagined”